Wednesday 19 April 2017

Magazine Review Page: First Draft


Firstly, when creating my magazine review, I designed a rough layout for where each of the conventional elements of a magazine review would go. I decided to create a review that subverts some of the typical conventions, in order to create a product that is unique to many others. Therefore I chose one main image to cover the whole of the double page spread. Usually, review pages include one key image along with multiple smaller pictures, however I have chosen to subvert this common feature and follow a design that is similar to the 'St. Trinians' review I looked at in my analysis. I have also decided to feature the title of my film in a bold font at the top of the page. This is not entirely uncommon, yet it is also not a typical convention within film magazine reviews. However. I have also included common characteristics such as columns for the article and text introducing the directors and production company.



Above is my first draft for my magazine review. I created this on InDesign. This software allowed me to used professional techniques in order to create my initial draft.

In order to create this initial design, I first chose a key image to cover the entirety of the page. Initially, I referred back to my initial research. From this I found the key image is often taken from an important moment within the film and thus provides an indication into the narrative. From my poster research I also found that sunset lighting is often used to promote coming of age films as it may connote an uplifting and happy narrative. Therefore I chose this particular picture as not only does it include a bright sunset, but it also comes from a prominent scene within the film.

I then followed a black and white colour scheme for the text on the page as I believed this would stand out against the warm toned background.

No comments:

Post a Comment