Monday 13 March 2017

Posters: First Drafts

After having researched numerous film posters within the coming of age genre, I have decided to create two initial drafts for my own ancillary product. I will then show both of my ideas to a focus group made up of my target audience, and will ask them to tell me which one they prefer and then ask of any further improvements they could suggest to their preferred design.


Poster 1:




For my first design I drew inspiration from my analysis of the poster for 'King Jack'. This is a largely conventional poster that features the two key protagonists of the film. Their proxemics and stance connote themes of friendship; a key element of our narrative. The image also suggests youthfulness as the characters are leaping in the air in a care free way. Along with this the sunset lighting connotes tones of warmth and happiness. For this design I followed a typical poster format, with the key image at the centre and the title above it; thus conforming to the rule of thirds as the image is the first thing the audiences eyes are drawn to. The poster also features conventional elements such as critical acclaim, awards and a tagline. I decided to use a white font for the majority of my text as it stands out against the background. I also used a handwritten font for the title as this suggests immaturity and thus marries well with the title 'Growing Up'.



Poster 2:



For my second poster I have drawn inspiration from my analysis of the 'Palo Alto' poster. I have primarily taken inspiration from the strong use of colour in that poster. For my own design I have used a muted pink colour overlay, thus connoting themes of femininity and youthfulness. This design also subverts many of the common conventions of a coming of age poster. The landscape format is not a typical design within the genre and thus stands out as a unique poster layout. Again, in this design I have used a white font for all of the text, therefore making it stand out more to the audience. I have also used a font for the title that resembles water colour painting. This suggests a handwritten quality which connotes youthful creativity to the audience.  

No comments:

Post a Comment