Tuesday 18 October 2016

Research: What I Have Learned?

After having completed multiple analysis' I have noticed specific conventions and codes that are prominent within the coming of age genre. I have also found that the ways in which narratives and character representations are handled in short films differ greatly from that of a feature film. These are all things that I will have to take into consideration when creating the plot for my own coming of age short film.

Characters:
Within the coming of age genre, I have found that there are usually only a few main characters and one key protagonist. The protagonist will generally rely on the other characters for support as they overcome an issue in their life. In short films, it common for the individuals to be conventional of their archetypal character types. This is due to the limited duration of the film not allowing enough time for significant character development and depth. Therefore in my own short film I will have to make sure that my character's are easily understandably for the audience.

I have also found that short films within this genre include a protagonist that is having to overcome an issue, usually in their personal life. This issue tends to be relatively conventional, for example in 'The Division of Gravity' the characters are experiencing a breakup. This will usually result in the main protagonist going on a journey of self discovery and growing in maturity and wisdom.

Narrative:
Within the coming of age genre, it is likely for the protagonist to be experiencing a personal issue that they must overcome by the end of the film. However, from my research I have found that, in short films, a resolution is not always met by the end of the film. For example '9 Meter' by Anders Walter was left on a cliffhanger as the protagonist made one final effort to save his dying mother. This is something I will therefore take into account for my own film as it may be difficult to come to follow a common narrative structure in which there is a satisfying resolution at the end.

I have also found that it is possible to create a coming of age story within a short space of time, with limited character development and depth. From my analysis of 'Youth' by Tommy Petroni, it is clear that a coming of age narrative can be achieved by imply including many of the typical conventions. 'Youth' does not follow a particular narrative structure, it simply provides an individual perspective of growing up, thus providing an interesting take on the genre.

As coming of age is a sub-genre of drama, it is common for the narrative to include elements that are typical of the drama genre. For example in 'The Division of Gravity' we see one of the main characters experiencing a mental breakdown, thus displaying the 'drama' element of the narrative.

Camera:
In short films, it is common for certain camera shots and angles to be used in order to further enforce aspects of the narrative. In my research of both coming of age and non genre specific short films I have found this to be true. For example a high angle may be used to show the vulnerability of a particular character. This is an aspect that I will have to take into consideration when creating my own film, as due to the short duration of our film, it is important that we use camera to back up our overall narrative.

Editing:
Complex and interesting editing sequences are also commonly featured within these short films. These innovative styles of editing make the film more interesting for the viewer and can often work to further enforce elements of the narrative. For example in my analysis of 'Youth' I found that match on action and graphic matches can be used to make juxtaposing scenes transition smoothly into one another.

Mis En Scene 
The locations and settings of the coming of age shorts I have researched remain largely conventional to the genre. However, a way in which I have found that these shorts differ from feature films is that the action tends to take place in one main area or location. This is due to the low budget and short running time of the film. If there were multiple locations in a film that has a duration of 5 minutes it may become confusing and hard to keep up with for the audience.

I have also found that props and costuming may be used to convey certain traits of a particular character. For example in my analysis of 'Youth' I found that the inclusion of skateboarding in the film portrayed the theme of childishness and immaturity, which gave the audience further insight into the characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment